Announcing SET Report!
The 7 Rivers Alliance released a new strategic economic development plan for Jackson, Monroe and Juneau Counties that is the result of extensive data collection and analysis from September 2016 through March 2017. During the past six months, planning sessions were held with over 150 business and community leaders. Working with the USDA, UW-Extension, the WEDC, the Mississippi River Regional Planning Commission and county economic development directors, the following priorities were identified:
- -Develop critical infrastructure to facilitate the attraction and expansion of businesses in high-wage industry sectors. Partners will focus on increasing access to broadband for attracting residents and growing a telecommuting workforce.
- -Create a connected regional transportation system to increase the mobility of goods and workers. Partners will work to develop a long-range plan for a connected regional transportation system, pursue funding for road improvements, and explore options for new bus routes and connections throughout the three counties.
- -Provide all students access to workplace readiness programs. They will work to launch career exploration programs in the 8th through 12th grades with school districts, workforce boards, and community based organizations.
- -Address the critical shortage of childcare facilities and lack of workforce housing in Juneau, Monroe and Jackson Counties as these were top concerns voiced during the community planning sessions.
- -Promote the natural beauty and successful events in Jackson, Juneau and Monroe Counties was recognized by partners as an amazing asset and partners. The counties will work together to create and launch a regional brand.
This project was funded by the USDA Rural Development program, the Strengthening Economies Together (SET) program. The 7 Rivers Alliance is the only organization in Wisconsin to be selected to participate in this national program. Thank you again for your participation and support of this project. To view this report, click on the link below!