The Iowa Business and Regulatory Assistance Network is made up of business assistance coordinators for agencies across state government, working as a cohesive unit providing improved communications and service.

Below you will find a brief description of agency functions and a contact for assistance:


Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA)

The Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) was created in 2011 to replace the Iowa Department of Economic Development as part of the complete overhaul of Iowa’s economic development delivery model. Through their two main divisions – business development and community development – IEDA administers several state and federal programs to meet its goals of assisting individuals, communities and businesses.


Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS)

The Division of Consumer Protection and Industry Services administers agricultural market development and regulatory programs which include: Ag Diversification and Market Development, Agricultural Market Development, Animal Industry Bureau, Commercial Feed and Fertilizer Bureau, Dairy Products Control, Entomology and Plant Science, Grain Warehouse Bureau, Horticulture and Farmers’ Market Bureau, Horse and Dog Breeding Program, Iowa Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program, Iowa Laboratory Facility, Meat and Inspection Bureau, Pesticide Bureau, and Weights and Measures Bureau.

The Soil Conservation Division is responsible for managing oil, water and mineral resources and assisting soil and water conservation districts and private landowners to meet their agricultural and environmental protection needs. Division programs include: Field Services Bureau, Mines and Minerals Bureau, and Water Resource Bureau.


Margaret Thomson, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.5322


Division of Banking, Professional Licensing Bureau (PLB)

PLB coordinates administrative support for seven professional licensing boards regulating: Accountants (CPA and LPA), Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors, Interior Designers, Landscape Architects, Real Estate (Broker, Salesperson, and Firm) and Real Estate Appraisers.


Division of Credit Unions, Commerce Department

The Division of Credit Unions provides the supervision and regulation of Iowa state-chartered credit unions.


Rebecca Behrens, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.6515


Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs (IDCA), State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO)

SHPO consults with federal and state agencies on how their “undertakings” (e.g. actions receiving federal support such as funding, permitting or other assistance) may affect historic properties. The National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) requires federal agencies to review actions which may affect a property listed on the National Register of Historic Places, or which may affect a property eligible for this listing.

A property may be a building, historic district, archeological site, cultural landscape or traditional cultural properties. SHPO provides technical assistance on how best to mitigate effects from an undertaking to preserve the historic integrity of the property.


Dan Higginbottom, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.8744


Iowa Department of Human Service, Child Support Recovery Unit (CSRU)

CSRU assists Iowa employers by providing 24/7 online access to make child support payments, report hired or rehired employees and to report employee terminations. For assistance employers may call 877.274.2580, visit or email


Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (IDIA)

The IDIA inspects, licenses, and/or certifies health care providers and suppliers, restaurants and grocery stores, social and charitable gaming operations, hotels and motels, and barber and beauty shops.  For assistance call 515.281.6863 or email


Iowa Insurance Division (IID)

Supervises insurance business transacted in Iowa, grants permission to companies wishing to sell insurance and serves as the administrator of the securities act.


Jim Armstrong, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.5705


Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR)

Administers environmental protection programs for air, water, land quality, maintains state parks and forests, and manages Iowa’s natural resources.


Sharon Tahtinen, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.7066


Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH)

The Department of Public Health is a catalyst for promoting and protecting the health of Iowans. It strives to improve the quality of life for all Iowans by fulfilling the fundamental obligations of population-based services by: preventing epidemics and the spread of disease; protecting against environmental hazards; preventing injuries; promoting and encouraging healthy behaviors and mental health; preparing for and responding to public health emergencies and assisting communities in recovery; and assuring the quality and accessibility of health services. IDPS administer plumbing regulations and support the Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board which licenses those working in the plumbing, hydronic, HVAC and refrigeration disciplines.


Barb Nervig, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.4344


Iowa Department of Public Safety (IDPS)

The Department of Public Safety Health is committed to providing public safety and criminal justice services that allow people in Iowa to enjoy a high quality of life in safe communities, while facilitating economic growth. IDPS divisions include: Commissioner’s Office, Administrative Services, Criminal Investigation, State Fire Marshal, Intelligence and Fusion, Narcotics Enforcement and State Patrol. IDPS is responsible for regulatory areas including electrical licensing and inspection, alarm system contractor and installer certification, fire extinguishing system contractor and certification, above ground storage tank plans, flammable liquids, state building code, and weapons permitting.


Roxann Ryan, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator,
Phone: 515.725.6328


Department of Revenue (IDR)

This department administers Iowa’s tax laws, including sales and use, motor fuel, cigarette and tobacco, individual and corporation income, and inheritance taxes. IDR issues business tax permits and provides Iowa tax publications and forms. IDR also provides information on tax laws, administrative rules, and tax policy and assists local governments in making property tax assessments fair and in compliance with the law.


Greg Stokke, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.5769
Iowa Department of Revenue tax specialists at 515.281.3114 or 1.800.367.3388
Available: 8 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. central time.


Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT)

This department regulates and authorizes access locations to primary highways, utility occupancy of highway right of way, and use of highway right of way by others.


Karen Smith, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.237.3239


Iowa Secretary of State (ISOS)

This part of state government processes certificate of incorporation (to transact business as a corporation in Iowa), registration as a foreign corporation (a corporation organized under the laws of a state other than Iowa) and reserving the exclusive right of a corporate name in Iowa. For assistance please call 515.281.5204 or email


Iowa Utilities Board (IUB)

The IUB administers regulatory approvals needed for generating certificate, natural gas pipeline permit, electric line franchise, or flexible rate tariff.


Joan Conrad, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.725.7311
IUB also handles complaints against utility service providers, call 877.565.4450 (toll-free) or


Iowa Workforce Development (IWD)

This department administers services including Workforce Development Centers, Workers Compensation, and Unemployment Insurance. The Division of Labor Services at IWD administers programs including occupational safety and health, construction contractor registration, child labor, wage payment and minimum wage, asbestos abatement, and elevator, escalator, boiler, pressure vessel, and amusement ride safety.


Kathleen Uehling, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.5915


Office of Citizens Aide/Ombudsman

The Office of Citizens’ Aide/Ombudsman serves as an independent and impartial agency to which citizens can air their grievances about government. By facilitating communications between citizens and government and making recommendations to improve administrative practices and procedures, the Ombudsman promotes responsiveness and quality in government.


Kristie Hirschman, Regulatory Assistance Coordinator
Phone: 515.281.3592

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *